Most people have experienced some form of dental anxiety at some point in their lives. For whatever reason, many people are afraid of the dentist’s chair and dread coming in for appointments. But we’re here to help you conquer your fears and anxieties! In this article, we are going to offer up a few tips for beating dental anxiety and feeling comfortable during your dental appointments.
Causes of Dental Anxiety
First off, let’s talk a little bit about what causes dental anxiety. Dental-related fears and anxieties can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Bad previous dental experiences
- Fear of drilling, needles, or pain
- Extremely sensitive teeth
How to Overcome Dental Anxiety
Here are a few tips for overcoming your dental anxiety:
- Communicate with your Dentist & Clinic. Open communication with your dentist and clinic is important to making sure your appointment goes as smoothly as possible. If you are experiencing any fears before your appointment, tell your dentist or clinic. They will listen to your concerns and try to alleviate your fears.
- Know What to Expect. If you’re visiting a new dentist for the first time, do some research online and get to know a little bit more about them and the clinic. Knowing what to expect can go a long way towards alleviating fears.
- Medications to Reduce Anxiety. Mild to moderate anxiety during dental procedures can be helped with administering nitrous oxide – a mild sedative gas that is given through a nasal mask. It creates a calming effect and wears off after the appointment so that the patient can drive themselves home. Another option is to take a prescription medication like valium before the appointment. With this medication however you will need to bring someone along to drive you home.
Minnesota Family Dentist
If you are dealing with dental anxiety, the worst thing you can do is avoid going to the dentist. Missing your regular checkups and cleanings can lead to much more serious issues in the future. At Smiles for Life, our Minnesota dental health experts make sure you feel as comfortable as possible during your visit with us. Dr. Tim Brooks has many years of experience treating patients throughout the state of Minnesota. He provides each and every patient he sees with the care they deserve. Contact us to set up your appointment today at Smiles for Life Dental Clinic. We have clinic locations in Farmington and Bloomington but provide care to patients throughout the state of Minnesota.